The Shilin Night Market in Taipei is one of the largest, most popular night markets in Taiwan with regard to food, and also one of the most popular points of Taipei’s night life among visitors. Located in Taipei’s Shilin District, a mere 70 metres from MRT Jiantan Station between Dadong Rd, Danan Rd, Wenlin Rd, and Jihe Rd. The maze of alleyways is filled with a variety of local, traditional, and international merchandise that attract locals and foreigners alike.
The night market consists of two major elements: general merchandise and local cuisine. Along the western edge of the market is the Shilin Night Market Food Court (士林夜市B1美食區), an underground food paradise.
Many of Taiwan’s traditional foods can be found and bought for reasonable prices from the friendly locals who are eager to let you taste the unique flavours of their traditional recipes such as Giant Fried Chicken Steak, Tempura, Bubble Tea, Oyster Vermicelli Oyster Omelet, Fried Buns and of course, the most notorious Taiwanese goodie, Stinky Tofu.
Although the market usually begins bursting with activity every day in the late evening and doesn’t stop until past midnight, most food vendors will have left by midnight. So if you want to get a taste of this unique dish, get there early!
The market showcases Taiwan’s culture with its vivid colours and general atmosphere, along with friendly shop keepers and plenty of delicious food and cheap clothes!
Here are some of the food highlights that are available at Shilin Night Market:
Also check out how it transform into a local morning market during the day time here:
How to Get There!
Take the Red Line 2 to Jiantan Station (劍潭), not Shilin Station. After leaving Exit 1, diagonally cross the street to the left to enter the night market.
1. Take minibus no. 15 (小15), 16(小16), 17(小17), 18(小18), 19(小19) to Yangming Theatre stop (陽明戲院站).
2. Take bus no. 109, 203, 216, 220, 260, 267, 279, 280, 285, 310, 606, 612, 646, 685, 902 or Zhongshan Line (中山幹線) to Ming Chuan University stop (銘傳大學站).
3. Take bus no. 203, 216, 218, 224, 266, 280, 304 Chengde Line (304 承德線), 308, 310, 606, 616, 618, 665, or minibus no. 18 (小18) to Xiaobei Street stop (小北街).
4. Take bus no. 41, 529, 620, or 30 Red (紅30) to Shilin Market (士林市場).
5. Take bus no. 109, 220, 203, 260, 267, 277, 279, 285, 612, 646, 685, 902, or Zhongshan Line (中山幹線) to MRT Jiantan Station (捷運劍潭站).
Drive on your own:
No. 1 National Highway (國道一號) -> Taipei Interchange (台北交流道) -> Chonqing N. Rd. (重慶北路) -> Minzu W. Road (民族西路) -> Zhongshan N. Road (中山北路) -> Zhongshan Bridge (中山便橋) -> MRT Jiantan Station (捷運劍潭站) -> make a left turn at Wenlin Road (文林路) -> Shilin Night Market (士林觀光夜市)
P/s: If you are taking the Hop-On and Hop-Off bus, you may also stop in front of Jiantan Station. Try to look for a big cute white bear wearing a Japanese out fit. Shiling Market is located behind the building.