In recent years, you will find many baba nyonya restaurants in the market has been commercialized. Especially Melaka’s heritage nyonya restaurants. You may no longer find the same food and taste that you have tasted many years ago.
Due to this reason, the owner of The Tranquerah which was also a Chef himself, has decided to share his long lost baba and nyonya authentic dishes that he have learned from his hometown; “Jalan Tengkera” (a place in Melaka where he lives) with KL people through The Tranquerah restaurant.
The restaurant has been carefully designed with all the old antiques and stuff from 1950s to create a nostalgic ambience for their customers to enjoy. If you are in The Tranquerah restaurants, you will find that most of their customers are the elderly english speaking crowd.
Hence that has gives you an idea on how authentic their baba nyonya foods they are offering. So, what’s uniques with their baba nyonya foods?
In the menu you may be surprise to find a baba nyonya dishes that not all baba nyonya restaurant have. That is Ayam Buah Keluak (a nyonya delicacy, stewed chicken with buah keluak) and Sambal Keluak Fried Rice (fried reice in their signature sambal keluak with chicken served with sunny side up). Buah Keluak is a special dish that has been a love for all baba nyonya people which not much people know of. This is because not many people loves the taste of the Buah Keluak.
Besides that, they also have a few signature dishes such as Cincalok Tasting Platter (crunchy prawns, chicken & squids in cincaluk infused batter), Udang Masak Lemak (prawns cooked in tumeric coconut milk with pineapples), Ikan Cencaru Sumbat (fried whole fish stuffed with chilli paste) and also Nyonya Chap Chai (stir-fry mixed vegetables – suitable for vegetarians).
If you are alone and would like to enjoy such authentic baba nyonya foods too, they also offers individual set meal which was very affordable for you, any time when you visit them. Below are some of the set meals that you could enjoy at The Tranquerah:
Set Lunch: RM 16.90
- Sambal Keluak Fried Rice. Their signature special sambal keluak served with chicken and a sunny side up.
- Petai Fried Rice. Served with stinky beans, chicken and a sunny side up.
- Nyonya Laksa. Laksa lemak served with prawns, tofu puffs, fishcakes, egg, cucumbers, fish balls and sprouts.
- Ayam Buah Keluak. Stewed chicken with buah keluak
** All sets comes with Rice, Spicy Manggo Salad and also one Free Drink.
Tingkat Set: RM 19.90 (served with Rice, Spicy Mango Salad, 1 Free Drink and 1 Main Dish of you choice)
- Nyonya Curry Chicken. Nyonya style curry with potatoes.
- Nyonya Beef Rendang. Served with semi dried beef curry in coconut milk.
- Nyonya Chicken Rendang. Served with semi dried rich curry
- Ayam Buah Keluak. Served with stewed chicken with buah keluak.
- Ayam Pongteh. Served with stewed chicken with potatoes & mushrooms in soybean paste gravy.
Fried Noodles: RM 17.90
- Fried Meehoon in spicy sauce served with egg, prawns & tofu.
- Fried Noodles with gravy served with sipcy pineapples & cucumber salad.
Noodle Soups: RM 19.90
- Nyonya Laksa. Laksa lemak served with prawns, tofu puffs, eggs, fishballs and fishcakes.
- Prawn Noodle. Noodles in prawn broth served with prawns, kangkung, fishcakes, egg.
- Seafood Noodle Soup. Noodles served in clear seafood broth served with mussels, prawns and fishcakes.
*All prices are subject to 6% GST.
For more information on The Tranquerah, visit https://www.facebook.com/Thetranquerah/